Ads 468x60px

Thursday, July 5, 2012

How would you customize Excel after installing? [poll]

How would you customize Excel after installing? [poll]:
Recently, I bought a new laptop, because my old Toshiba died down. After installing the OS and other necessary tools (like browser, skype etc.), I have installed Office 2010. Since Excel is my bread and butter, I like to customize it so that I can get more work done.
So today,let me share how I customized my newly installed Excel and ask you the same question.

Customizing Excel from Excel Options

The first thing I do after opening Excel, is go to File > Excel Options.
Here, we can customize various Excel default behaviors.

Only one worksheet instead of 3

To begin with, I want to have only 1 sheet on my new workbooks as I seldom work with 2 or 3 sheets.
Open Excel with Just one sheet (and change user name)

Change the user name

Since many of my workbooks are emailed to clients or uploaded on chandoo.org for you to download, I want to use our website address (chandoo.org) as my username.

Enable Developer Ribbon

After this, I went to customize ribbon and  checked  the Developer Ribbon box. This ensures that I can see the developer ribbon in Excel so that I can use features like form controls, macros etc.
Enable Developer Ribbon in Excel - how to
Note: If you are using Excel 2007, you can find this in Popular tab in Excel Options.

Disable Error Checking Options

Excel has a friendly feature called as error checking. By default this is enabled and Excel shows warning messages whenever you have made some predefined errors while using Excel. For example, you would get a warning whenever your formulas omit adjacent cells in a region.
While this is useful, I find it annoying as most of the time I know what I am doing. So I disabled almost all of the error checking rules except the ones that I want.
You can do this from Formula options in Excel Options screen.
Error Checking options in Excel 2010

Tell Excel to take frequent backups of your files

Since the work I do in Excel feeds my family, I want to make sure nothing is lost. Apart from using external back-up applications, I want to use built-in backup features in Excel. You can set these settings from Save tab in Excel options.
Auto Recovery Options in Excel

Customize Quick Access Toolbar

There are quite a few things in Excel that I use on regular basis. To begin with, I use shapes, alignment tools, text-box, select objects on regular basis. So I add these to my QAT. I will be adding more items to QAT as I use more features on this laptop’s Excel.
Customizing Quick Access Toolbar

Adding Excel to Taskbar

This next is not an Excel tip but Windows tip. Since I use Excel thru-out the day, I just add it to taskbar (by right clicking on Excel in Programs and choosing Pin to task bar.)

What about you?

Those are the bare-minimum customizations I made to my Excel 20101.
What about you? How do you customize your own Excel to make it productive & easy to use. Please share using comments.

More Tips on Customizing Excel

If you want to use Excel productively, then customizing how it behaves is the first step. Here are some handy ideas you can try,
PS: Wish you a happy weekend. We are taking the kids to Safari World today (Friday), for a day of giraffes, monkeys, dolphins, elephants and sun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment